If anyone still doubts that Ukraine can provide appropriate response to the Russians, take a look at the included screenshot from a Russian social network that lists the losses of just one combined battalion tactical group: 9 MBTs, 18 APCs, 43 Ural trucks, and 230 personnel.
Another screenshot contains the list of some units that had been deployed in the East of Ukraine and have suffered losses. I have tried to add some details to it.
Russian units (Battalion Tactical Group) operating in Luhansk and Donetsk regions of Ukraine:
- 18th motorized infantry brigade (Southern Military District, based in Kalinovskaya, Chechnya)
- 17th motorized infantry brigade (SMD, based in Shali, Chechnya)
- 22nd special operations brigade (Main Intelligence Directorate, based in Aksai, Rostov region)
- 137th and 51st airborne regiments (106th airborne division, based in Tula)
- units of the 76th airborne division (based in Pskov)
The following units have also been reported:
- 9th motorized infantry brigade (Western Military Disctrict, based in Nizhny Novgorod)
- Military unit 35690 – Special Purpose Center of FSB. Object “Sputnik” (“Vympel” group, based in Balashikha, Moscow region)
This list is not complete, it contains the Russian Army units that have been identified and verified (full list see the entry of 8/26). I will welcome any substantiated additions and correction. I apologize for the quality of the screenshots, please observe the copyright and don’t distort the information.
This article is based on my observations of the media and other available sources.
August 31, 2014
Translated by Max Alginin, edited by Larry Field
- Русский: Обновленная информация по российским войсковым частям, зафиксированным непосредственно в восточных областях Украины
10/02/2014Обновленная информация по российским войсковым частям, зафиксированным непосредственно в восточных областях Украины - Inform Napalm
[…] English: Updated Information Regarding Russian Army Troops Directly Observed in the Eastern Regions of Ukrain… […]
10/02/2014Units of the Russian Armed Forces Which Have Been Deployed to Fight in Eastern Ukraine - BurkoNews.info
[…] Updated Information Regarding Russian Army Troops Directly Observed in the Eastern Regions of Ukrain… […]
10/13/2014Uninvited Guests from Siberia - BurkoNews.info
[…] Updated information regarding Russian military detachments documented in the Eastern areas of Ukrain… […]
01/02/2015They Are back: 137th Air Assault Battalion of Russian 106th Airborne Division is Back in Rostov Oblast - InformNapalm.org (English)InformNapalm.org (English)
[…] time no see! They were absent close to two month. Yet, after recovering somehow from the August shock and loses, getting reinforcements and spending their vacations the new assignment started. In the end of […]
03/21/2016Units of the Russian Armed Forces Which Have Been Deployed to Fight in Eastern Ukraine - InformNapalm.org (English)
[…] Guards Independent Motor-Rifle Brigade (, , , , , ), Shali, Chechnya (presumably 2 BTGs). Unit has significant combat losses and then […]