Russian 2B26 Grad multiple launch rocket systems (MLRS) mounted on the KamAZ-5350 chassis featured in the photo from large-scale military exercises that the Russian Armed Forces conducted in the occupied Crimea in mid-April 2021.
Volunteers of the international intelligence community InformNapalm found that these 2B26 Grad belonged to the 8th Artillery Regiment (military unit 87714, permanent deployment point in the village of Perevalnoye, Simferopol Raion, occupied Crimea). Details of the formation of this unit were reported by InformNapalm back in September 2014.
It is noteworthy that this artillery regiment has many servicemen who, before the occupation of Crimea, served in the 406th Artillery Brigade of the Ukrainian Navy and had sworn an oath of allegiance to the Ukrainian people. The commander of the unit, Colonel Dmytro Kozachenko, led a group of traitors and defected to the Russian side. Later he was appointed commander of the 8th Artillery Regiment, the newly formed unit of the Russian occupation forces in Crimea.
In October 2020, media reports appeared of an accident that took place in this regiment. One of the servicemen, senior in military rank, shot a 22-year-old contract soldier in the guardhouse. The shot was made in the head with a Makarov pistol. The mother of the deceased also reported this accident on her VK page. On April 24, 2021, details of the accident appeared in the regional press of Crimea.
Russian 2B26 Grad MLRS in the Donbas
Let us recall that the Russian 2B26 Grad rocket systems appeared for the first time on the report of the OSCE SMM in the Donbas in December 2020. In turn, OSINT investigators of InformNapalm had been providing evidence since 2016 confirming that these systems were actively used by hybrid Russian forces in the hostilities against Ukraine.
Read more from InformNapalm
- Proofs of the Russian Aggression: InformNapalm releases extensive database of evidence
- Volunteers gathered evidence of 32 Russian military units taking part in the invasion of Crimea
- Advanced Russian EW system Navodchik-2 spotted in Donbas for the first time
- Russia has kept its Zoopark-1 recon systems in Donbas since 2014 (PHOTOS)
- Russian soldiers who lost Takhion drone in Donbas have been identified
- Russian multipurpose armored vehicle Tigr, part of MK-BLA-01 drone system spotted in the Donbas (video)
- Newest Russian equipment in Donbas in aerial photo (photo and coordinates)
- Russian drone Orlan-10 consists of parts produced in the USA and other countries – photo evidence
- List of the officers of the 55th Helicopter Regiment from Korenovsk
- Barracks in place of a resort. How Russia is turning occupied Crimea into a military base
- Alligators’ flight: how the Russian Armed Forces practically implements information operations against Ukraine during military exercises
- Ukraine armed with Bayraktar TB2 is a better deterrent than “deep concern”